Button photo DTC.png  photo DT.png Button Button Button Button Button
Button

Monday, August 19, 2013

Mixed Media Monday: Bird on a Branch



Hi All That Stickles fans, and welcome to another Mixed Media Monday.  It's me Ann from the Design Team here at ATS (and also from Annmakes).  I hope you have been enjoying this feature every Monday.  I certainly have been having fun.  Today I bring you my "Bird on a Branch" piece.  It is roughly a 12"x12" canvas wall hanging.  A sort of mini art quilt too.  The inspiration for this project came to me just outside my house. We live in the country where there are a lot of trees and an incredible variety of woodland birds.  So much so that our cat probably has anxiety issues from bird watching all day!    But back to my project.  The theme this week   at the ATS blog is all about Nature and the Outdoors, one of my favourites. Here is my inspiration:



I find Stickles work so well with this Nature/Outdoors theme because at just about any time of day and even night nature tends to reflect and show off little dashes of light.  Be it caused by the reflection of the sun on some dew drops, or the glistening of the moon on a white flower.  Ever noticed fireflies?  Animals in the dark with shiny eyes?  Pay attention next time you see a hummingbird, their feathers are quite shiny!

On this project I used Stickles as a final touch.  I especially like how the eye of the bird turned out with a drop of walnut stain.  That is a good colour for eyes, for sure.  I like the more subtle Distress stickles, Scattered straw on the branch too.  I used the Golden Rod on the bird for a yellow tinge, as well as some Walnut stain on its back.  The background has high lights with Eucalyptus and Waterfall.

I hope that this inspires you to try Stickles in your art work as well.  Go have fun now!

Thanks for viewing.


Supplies:
Raw canvas (Frederix)
Acrylic Paints:  Phthalo Green (Blue Shade), Hansa Yellow Light, Titanium White, Cerulean Blue Deep,  Cobalt Blue (Golden)
Bird Stamp (Magenta)
Music Notes Stamp (Michaels)
Ink: Black (Staz-On)
Gelatos: Brown, Silver, Lemon (Faber Castell)
Branches (my garden)
Large brass eyelets (Dollar store)
Shower curtain rings (Dollarama)
Batting (Fabricland)
Thread  (Coats)
Clear Gesso (Liquitex)
Heavy Gel Medium (Golden)
Glue (Weldbond)
Black pen (Sharpie)
Stickles used:  Golden Rod, Eucalyptus, Waterfall (Ranger)
Distress stickles:  Scattered straw, Walnut Stain. (Ranger)

**REMEMBER,  to check out the Linky Party.

2 comments: