Button photo DTC.png  photo DT.png Button Button Button Button Button
Button

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tips & Techinque Thursday: Masking & Outlining

Happy Thursday! 

 Tonya here with another great technique/tutorial for you. I wanted to make something with some fun, light colors because I am SO tired of winter.  And I love to use different techniques in the same project.  So, I thought I'd try my hand at making a background for a card, with Stickles!
  
I used a Scraptastical Kreations file to create a mask for the base of the background.  I chose to use the bow from A Geeky Kind of Love file.  I made an offset of the shape.  (I originally had the idea of the bow shape, but the offset shape resembles more of a butterfly.)  :-)     

I positioned the 'bows' on white carstock where I thought they would work the best. 
I chose five colors of distress inks to use. 

Using an inking tool, I applied the distress inks directly to, and around, the die cuts
causing a shadow of color.

Here they are all colored. 
  
I tried to chose Stickles colors that closely matchd the distress inks themselves.   
  
After removing the masks, I outlined the inside of each shadow with the Stickles.   
 

  
First look, I wasn't happy with a specific section, or grouping of colors, to use on the front of my card. 
I decided to cut the sheets into three pieces -one piece for the front and two for the inside.   
  
Here's my finished card.  I love how the colors and the Stickles pop out.  The digi I used is from The Paper Nest  that I colored with Copics. And I added a touch of Stickles to her beads and to the roses adorning her hat.  The sentiment is from Whimsical Designs.


(Inside of card)

I LOVE how this card turned out.  It's so fun and it just makes me smile.  We would love to see what techiques you come up with for Stickles on your creations.

Be sure to link up at our party HERE  

1 comment: